Monday, October 11, 2010

Marry the Merry Widow

I don't want to get into this topic because it is way too complicated for Monday morning, and I don't want you to think I don't care about the 147 Million Orphans living in the world, but this discussion my family had last night made me laugh and laugh, and I thought everyone could use a Monday morning laugh.  Unfortunately it does touch on complicated subjects, so please suspend any judgment of me and enjoy the laugh.  Thanks!

So at dinner I was talking to my husband and our friend about the verse James 1:27: "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world," and that some Christians seem to take that verse as a call to all Christians to adopt.  However, I haven't found much on-line about how Christians should care for the widow (June is apparently widow month, but I couldn't find out when Widow Sunday was).

So I said, because the idea is funny to me, "That the equivalent would be to have a call to all single Christian men to marry widows.  In fact, (I do not actually believe we should do this!) maybe we should throw out the rules against bigamy and have all Christian men marry a widow or two."

My six year old said, "or throw out Daddy to make room for some widows in our house!"

My ten year old said, "but that would make Mommy a widow and who would take care of her?"

Sorry, it just went down hill from there, because really all I could think of was 4 or 5 widowed ladies sharing my room and my tiny master bath while my husband lived in the car!  

Well, I hope it makes you smile; I'm off to buy some bunk beds to make room for all my new roommates.
Photobucket

No comments: