Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Zoo--Sunday Snapshot

On Saturday we took our friend, Captain Awesome (the friend who missed Thursday dinner), to the zoo to see some animals and for me to practice using my camera.
We all had a great time, though it was very, very cold.  I believe the technical term is below freezing (28 degrees).
Yes, the duck is standing on ice.  In fairness to the zoo, they are not in anyway restrained to staying here.  They could have flown south.  Though maybe they are from Canada, and they did fly south?
The polar bear thought it was perfect weather.  (I thought this came out pretty well through 3 panes of polar bear resistant glass.)
There was some snow and ice around.
The red wolves cuddled for some warmth.
We spent a lot of time with the walruses.
Because, well, it was indoors.
We needed a little break from the cold.
 
Though the arctic foxes were having fun
as were the otters.
He totally posed for me
as did my SnapDragon.

Then we spent a lot of time in the Aquarium; again for the warmth; but my camera fogged up because of the drastic temperature change, so I took a break from taking pictures until it cleared.
By then we were at the sea horses; my favorite exhibit in the zoo.  It was a great opportunity to practice indoor, no flash, through glass pictures.  However, I wasn't very successful; I had trouble focusing with my 55-200mm lens and didn't want to change it.  I'll definitely have to go back and practice some more.  Sea horses are pretty.
After taking 600 pictures at the zoo I definitely have a lot more wisdom on how to use my new camera and am happy to have it.  
We eventually left, running for the warmth of the car.

Ni Hao Yall
 (It was apparently picture day at the zoo because for the first few hours the only other people we saw had really, really nice cameras (sometimes 2 or 3) and no kids.  I felt a little guilty bringing my rowdy kids to spoil their shots, but I still had a blast.)
Photobucket

5 comments:

Steve & Sarabeth said...

You got some really great pictures!! Of both animals AND kids!

Number 6 and no more counting! said...

beautiful shots with the new camera!

lea
xo

DawnS said...

Awesome shots and some great posing too :) But boy does it look cold!!!

Adrian Roberta said...

WEll done Cedar!!! REally really well done!

ellieshine said...

WOWZA! These are GORGEOUS! I'm not sure if I love the one with the wolves or the fox more - those two are just amazing! The walrus oh and the kids :) are gorgeous also.

What a fun day at the zoo - your camera is earning it's keep!

thanks for your sweet comments on my blog :)

xo ellie