Monday, May 14, 2012

Monday May 14th...No Pictures, Sorry

It was a wonderful day.  Consulate Appointment in the morning...we left Huckleberry at the hotel to go to breakfast with another family in our travel group so he could sleep in.  At the CA is where we swear everything on our application for Sweet Pea to immigrate to the US is accurate.  No pictures allowed...in fact, we had to check our camera in at the door.  I ran into another family I'd met before whose baby came from Sweet Pea's SWI.

Then calling and facetiming with the kids back home.  They are starting to look so sad when we see them.  We miss them very much...which may be why I went a little crazy on shoes when I went shopping this afternoon.  Sunflower LOVES shoes.  I'm hoping the shoes I bought her fit...they coordinate with the ones I bought Sweet Pea (they each got more than one pair...actually 4 pair each!  I NEVER buy shoes due to the generosity of my friend, but I couldn't resist the encouragement of my shopping companion.)

Anyway, after talking to the kids, we went to lunch at the little bakery in our hotel with my friend from Washington and her daughter...and after lunch we went to McDonald's for fries and ice cream.  Then when Sweet Pea went to sleep I and another mom from my travel group took a taxi to Shaiman Island to so some shopping.  I felt pretty selfish and guilty while I was gone, but Oak says Sweet Pea was fine.  She is such a happy baby.  I was gone for less than two hours and she certainly seemed content when I got back.

So I did buy some souvenirs...a lot of souvenirs.  We may be able to get them all home.  I was horrible at bargaining.  Everything was so much less than the stores we'd been to in Beijing, Nanchang, and the Folk Art Museum I just agreed to pay it.  Now the quality was probably not great, but I was looking for the inexpensive, we can actually use and enjoy, souvenirs at this point.  I'd tell you what I bought but it would be embarrassing I don't want to spoil the surprises for the kids.

Then one other couple from our travel group, my friend from Washington, and our Agency rep walked to a different Chinese restaurant for dinner.  It was very good, though their tomato and egg dish was not the same as the one in Beijing.

Then home, a short swim and chat with others from our travel group swimming and now to bed.  Sweet Pea only took half her bottle at bed, so I'm not sure how far we'll go before she wants another.  Most nights we go from 8 p.m. to about 6 a.m. which eliminates two bottles according to her schedule.  She usually wakes up for about 30 seconds another 2-3 times a night, but as soon as I pat her (or scoot her back down from the corner of the crib) she goes right back to peacefully sleeping.  I don't want to ignore any of her needs, even perceived needs, but I think we're right that she doesn't need those bottles...and I think she agrees.  But honestly, it probably is the most pressing concern to me.  I mean, what if I'm wrong?  I definitely believe she does not need the calories or food in the middle of the night at 9 months of age, but I want to be meeting her emotional needs as well.  

Anyway, as you can probably tell by that worry, things are going really well.  I have discovered Sweet Pea loves riding in the Ergo on the back...which is a lot easier on my back and made the walk to and from the restaurant almost seem easy.  Plus with her behind me, then I can take pictures.  It's a win-win all around.  Not that I'm uploading and sharing them tonight, but someday I will.  China is so beautiful in many ways.  We are having a wonderful time here, and tomorrow is our last full day.  Nothing is on the schedule except visit a park with a goat statue and buy another suitcase, maybe.  I certainly don't need to buy any more Chinese traditional outfits...no I don't, really.
     Photobucket

No comments: